Saturday, 7 December 2013

Back with a Vengeance

Side view of boss.
Decided to use every spare inch of my boss and (after shooting a hole in the kitchen cupboard) tried to save it a bit more with insulation and wooden boards behind.

Arrows straight through the boss
and insulation foam.
Arrows are still going through where the target is getting worn, but it's certainly a lot better now and hopefully I won't keep hitting the wood behind and have to keep replacing the nocks that seem to be shattering.

Target face pinned to scrap foamboard.
Grouping is definitely getting better and I've now fitted a clicker to my bow - one that attaches just behind the sight as I haven't got a recess for an extension plate. Even though this is a Hoyt Excel, I gather it's because this is a 23" riser (my choice as it is perfect for my small hands). Another small grumble is that the handle grip is really uncomfortable and I have had to tape it up! Had a bit of trouble with the clicker at first as the allen key didn't fit and it kept moving about. Visited Bowsports in Wolverhampton and they very kindly found one that fit for me. Result!

Grouping getting better.
My beautiful bow.

Saturday, 23 November 2013

Target Testing

Home Archery Range
I set up a small archery range at home by putting up the boss in my kitchen with a piece of plywood behind and also a square piece of wood. I also hung up an old decorating blanket on top of my kitchen units. The distance from the lounge to the kitchen was about 10 yards. I started to use my paper targets with my training bow which is just 15 to 18 lbs. After a few sessions the boss started to wear away in the middle but I carried on moving the target around so that it wasn't that close. Shooting over the couch and through doorways is certainly different - just in case you're wondering I was alone in the house. My first session using my targets was very good and I was pleased at how well the paper targets lasted.

However, I decided to mount the paper targets onto foam board with spray adhesive.  These lasted a lot longer and also saved my boss a bit more.

I also mounted a FITA target onto foamboard and tested that out too, but it didn't last half as long as my own as there is only one centre target.
Then I  bought my new Intermediate bow which is 24 lbs. All the targets took a new hammering and, in less than 2 weeks (at only an hour or so a day) my boss was useless. 

The arrows went straight through the boss, my plywood, and stuck into the wood. Really disappointed at the boss, will definitely not buy another one like this.

End of testing - for now.
Back of boss

Thursday, 7 November 2013

New Designs Coming Soon

Rough Design
After receiving my prints and making them a bit brighter, I'm very happy with how they came out. All set now to 'target' some companies. Hopefully these will be popular. In the meantime I'm working on some new designs and have added a page to my website specially for these targets. They look a little lighter on my site, they actually print a bit darker.